[PD] Finding "$0" and dealing with it in messages

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Nov 14 17:35:36 CET 2009

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Someone could write their own message box object and make it do whatever they
> want.  Then you have both: a new interface and backwards compatibility.  The
> message box could just be a GUI object like any other, there is nothing
> inherently unique about it.

It wouldn't even need to be a "GUI" object. just make it an objectbox
class named [m]. Then "$1" (etc) becomes the same as in other objectboxes,
and then another syntax can be used to mean message arguments. Except that
if it's not a GUI object, then it's not clickable, and stuff.

User-wise, there _is_ something inherently unique to the messagebox, but
it happens to be exactly the difference that we'd like to eliminate.