[PD] list of differences between pd-vanilla and pd-extended? (Was: Re: rj dirlib [was: Re: how to nqpoly?])

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Nov 14 17:46:04 CET 2009

On Nov 14, 2009, at 4:26 AM, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> For these reasons, the auto-aliasing is disabled in Pd-extended
>> 0.42.5,
>
> Elsewhere I read that *.d_fat (etc?) external names are disabled too.

The code related to this stuff was so ugly I couldn't get it working
in Pd-extended.  If anyone wants to try, they can do it.  But the
point remains, on Mac OS X the .d_fat/.d_ppc stuff is an ugly kludge
no Mac OS X does things this way, everyone uses universal binaries
with a single extension (i.e. .pd_darwin).

> Is there a list of pd-vanilla features that are missing in pd-
> extended?

Those are the only two I know of.  They are only related to how things
get loaded.  And I strongly advocate, and have for a long while now,
removing both of these from Pd-vanilla.

> And a list of pd-extended features that are missing in pd-vanilla?

You can see the list of patches included in pd-extended.  Something
more readable and details would be nice, but currently doesn't exist.
If someone wants to create something better, I'll contribute.  I just
don't have a good idea how people want to see this info, since I just
look at the included patches.

http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data/trunk/packages/patches/

Also, there is the NextRelease page on the site which is the TODO and
ChangeLog for the currently developed version.  That info then gets
included into the ChangeLog for each release.

http://puredata.info/dev/NextRelease

All information should be free.  - the hacker ethic