[PD] PD with Ubuntu Karmic - no sound

Ricardo Lameiro ricardolameiro at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 16:24:31 CET 2009

I think that the problem is PulseAudio. When I try to start jack i really
need to shutdoen every program using the server (pulseaudio is a kind of a
server) so that jack has control over the sound card. Only after running
jack and starting the server, you can open Puredata and then select in media
the jack out/in and connect it in qjackctrl.
I tested it with Pd vanilla, but I think it will be the same with
pd-extended, since is the same audio engine.

Remember that need to close all software that uses audio, including firefox
etc.....

2009/11/14 Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>

> How would we make Pd use that ALSA compatibility layer?  I know about the
> OSS emulation in Pulseaudio, I believe that would work by doing 'padsp pd'.
>
> .hc
>
> On Nov 13, 2009, at 11:28 PM, John Harrison wrote:
>
> IIRC there is some sort of ALSA compatibility layer in Pulseaudio and I
> think it would be nice if Pd-extended could choose this ALSA "driver" or
> "soft card" or whatever it would be called. That would be a better solution
> than pasuspender because then Pd would be playing "nice" with all the other
> sound apps concurrently. Latency might be slightly worse but I think for
> beginners at least the initial experience would be more positive, as many of
> these users are coming from OS X and Windows platforms where sound
> applications sharing the same sound card concurrently is expected behavior.
>
> I also vaguely remember the pulseaudio is only an issue with ALSA when
> there is no hardware mixer in the card. But my guess is that would be all
> cheap sound cards, since it has been the case with the built-in cards on all
> the Linux-based laptops I run into.
>
> -John
>
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>wrote:
>

>> Is pasuspender something that could be integrated into the Pd-extended
>> menu launch item somehow?  I'd really like to make sure that Pd will output
>> audio by just starting it in Debian/Ubunut.
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On Nov 12, 2009, at 12:09 PM, John Harrison wrote:
>>
>> could be pulseaudio is the problem?
>>
>> from the command line try
>>
>> pasuspender pd
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Aditya Mandayam <adityams at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> i have pd installed on ubunty 9.10 - karmic koala.
>>>
>>> i have absolutely no sound when i fire up pd. i've tried fooling
>>> around with the Media>settings for OSS, ALSA, jack, default MIDI.
>>>
>>> No sound. What gives?
>>>
>>> Thank you,

>> --
>> John
>> http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~harrison/<http://alumni.media.mit.edu/%7Eharrison/>

>> Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
>> related to the telescope.      -Edsger Dykstra
>>

> --
> John
> http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~harrison/<http://alumni.media.mit.edu/%7Eharrison/>

> "[T]he greatest purveyor of violence in the world today [is] my own
> government." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Fagote / Contrafagote
Bassoon / Contra-bassoon
http://myspace.com/ricardolameiro