[PD] Max4Live... How about Pd4Live?

fred-ordi ordi at fredvoisin.com
Sat Nov 14 11:35:17 CET 2009

For sure but anyway max4live is much more than audio communication, it's
a perfect integration or mix of two paradigms, where ableton live takes
the more relevant advantages of traditional ergonomy and powerfull
features developed for production: ergonomy mixing, editing, touching,
saving not only sound bits but also -this is the point - control
parameters, with no difference at all between the ones from live or max...
This make production much more easy, faster and intuitive than any
combination of actual existing opensource environment. In fact, to me,
Ableton is actually providing all the ergonomy relevant for production
which where not developped by Cycling74 but that every maxer were
waiting for, and particularly a powerfull timeline strongly connecte to
Max environment: this only a fusion and I think that commercial
companies have done a real advance here (it was certainly a hard job to
do that in short time, even if we were waiting for it since the
beginning of Max - let say v. 0.2 ;)
So, I suggest to not minimise this advance. To me, this step as big as
the one did Digidesign when releasing the first version of Protools
(which was not only considering audio features, but ergonomy, a so
important point when talking about musical instruments...) - or the
wellknown "Debian for everybody"... this require time, and, as you know,
time is...
So, the question is: how long should we wait to make it opensource ?
I'm optimist even if we had to wait more or less 20 years for a
opensource realease - Ardour or so - and linux is so young !).
I'm patient and learned to be a philosophe, I still have the same
problem for Patchwork (PW, PWGL or OpenMusic) working in linux ;)

Fred