[PD] Max4Live... How about Pd4Live?

Rich E reakinator at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 19:45:12 CET 2009

The thing that impressed me the most about Max4Live (haven't tried it, just
seen some videos) is that you can receive parameter changes of Live's
controls within Max and you can send parameter changes to just about
everything from Max to Live.  So, you can have one automation control
another, or have resizing one sample trigger a different control, etc.
Sequencers don't have to control midi in the Max patch, they can control
anything you route it to.

I tried doing this many different ways using Pd/Ardour, but I always found
it too cumbersome and just recorded audio instead of automation.  This is
very limiting if you want to re-use automation recordings.  It is of course
possible with Pd/Ardour and Midi, just very cumbersome and bug-prone.

I suppose having Pd directly in Live would only be slightly easier than
directing Pd through Jack and into Live (by the way, where did the Jack-VST
plug-in go?? I've been looking for this and it is not included in the
jackosx package) and you wouldn't get all the interface controls that
Ableton gave to Max.  I do remember hearing about a Live/python SDK, so if
you could make a patch that gave access to those controls, I can see it
being just as powerful, but without all the nice GUI objects that Max has.

Rich