[PD] Pd, Max/Msp, Reaktor, Plogue Bidule... How do these compare?

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 17:42:26 CET 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Jeffrey Concepcion <
jeffreyconcepcion at gmail.com> wrote:

> From an audio processing perspective...
>
> My first introduction to a visual programming environment was Reaktor, then
> Max, then Pd. Only recently did i find out about plogue bidule. As far as
> interface goes they seem quite similar, and one obviously must consider that
> the commercial products have customer support rather than the community
> effort that is PD (which is great, don't get me wrong) and the "user
> friendliness" approach they must have in order to appeal to users.
>
> As far as i know, reaktor and plogue bidule have VST capabilities, i
> believe the last i read about the [vst] object in Pd was that is was
> generally defective (can anyone confirm or correct this?). Max seems to be
> the largest and most complex of all (The creators of the Monome<http://monome.org/>and
> OHM64 <http://www.lividinstruments.com/hardware_ohm64.php> both designed
> their product with max, although i'm sure it could have been with Pd just
> the same). correct me if i'm wrong, but i understand that pd and max are the
> most powerful, although i've yet to build anything that sounds as good as
> what i was able to make in reaktor, and i have no idea about the sound
> quality that can be achieved with plogue bidule.
>
> your thoughts?
>
> jeff

I started with Reaktor too - as far as i remember it was quality-wise
"secure" (means easy to make good sounds, hard to mess up) because really
basic elements had been introduced only later, and still not many patches
messed with them. Pd imho have been always using smaller, more basic
building blocks which always allow for all kinds of glitches.
Not an audio issue, but Reaktor does not do midi sysex, that's why i broke
up with it.

Andras