[PD] PD with Ubuntu Karmic - no sound

Justin Glenn Smith noisesmith at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 18:00:32 CET 2009

cyrille henry wrote:
> Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :
>>
>> The problem is getting things working for newbies.  This has never
>> worked for me, but I haven't tried Karmic yet:
> i don't think karmic will make any diference.
>>
>> - install default Ubuntu setup
>> - install puredata.deb or pd-extended.deb
>> - launch pd using the GNOME menu item
>> - then check sound
>>
>> This works on Mac OS X and Windows.  I am guessing that you don't run
>> pulseaudio, so that is a non-default config.
> i do run pulse audio.
> when pulse audio don't use the sound card, pd can use it.
> the only modification to the audio configuration i'm doing is removing
> ubuntu sound.
>
>> I still think a crappy working config is a better default than a
>> non-working config.
>
> what is the problem with pasuspender?
> you can't watch youtube video when using pd, but pd should always act
> normal.
>
> so, pasuspender is crappy, padsp is very crappy...

I use jack and pulseaudio at the same time without using pasuspender. First
I start up jack, then I load pulseaudio. I have pulseaudio load the jack-sink
and jack-source as the default source and sink. That way firefox flash videos
and all that use jack with a higher latency via the pulseaudio plugin, and my
actual audio tools use jack directly with a lower latency. I have had no
problems with this since I figured out how to do it.

The issue with making this a default for new users is that it requires jack to
be running at login, and for pulseaudio to be setup properly to be using jack
for all input / output.