[PD] Deleting scalars again

Stephen Lucas s9lucas at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 01:34:14 CET 2009

I'm working on a project where I store information in scalars and would like
to be able to delete a scalar to both free the pointer and to avoid a memory
leak. Currently I am drawing a polygon to represent the scalar (with the x y
information inherent in the data) and I use simulated mouse movements to
select and delete the scalar graphically.

One problem I have stumbled on (which I am assuming is common to people
using simulated mouse movements) is that pd doesn't seem to like deleting
objects/scalars in a window that isn't visible (this makes sense since it
might be hard to simulate mousing over something that isn't there).

Am I correct in assuming that this is still the preferred way of deleting
scalars (as opposed to a clear message)? I also happen to be using the
scalar information to coincide with GUI abstractions in a different window,
and I'm trying to avoid as many glitches as possible.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
-Stephen