[PD] Inconsistent creation in some objects

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Nov 18 18:42:20 CET 2009

On Nov 18, 2009, at 9:08 AM, Martin Peach wrote:

> IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
>
>> somewhat related is the question of system exclusive ressources
>> (e.g. a
>> port for [netreceive]).
>> i find it highly frustrating that all of the network server objects
>> will
>> plainly refuse to instantiate if they cannot allocate the given port.
>> i would very much appreciate, if i could get feedback on the
>> success and
>> retry another port.
>

> Do you mean the object should sit there semi-instantiated until you
> type in a usable port number, or just fail to instantiate but leave
> a message saying why it failed?

Personally, I think it should instantiate, and throw a pd_error()
saying that it can't function without a port number.  Another option
for netreceive is to pick a default port number.

But in general, I think an object should instantiate regardless of the
args so you can get help and having it throw findable errors, i.e.
pd_error();

"Making boring techno music is really easy with modern tools," he
says, "but with live coding, boring techno is much harder." - Chris
McCormick