[PD] midi-out problem in jack/alsa

Raphael Raccuia rafael.raccuia at blindekinder.com
Thu Nov 19 01:41:47 CET 2009

IOhannes m zmölnig a écrit :

> Raphael Raccuia wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'm new on the list, and working with PD from a couple of years...
>>
>> I'm on linux, Ubuntu Studio 9.10 and Fedora 10 / planet CCRMA
>>
>> I have some troubles on latest vanilla version in repos (0.41):
>>
>> All the midi-out objects do the same: no problem to set midi channel and
>> CC or Note number, but for each value change, I get in jack:
>>    ALSA: connection graph change
>> and the buttons in alsa-midi tab flash shortly... but 128 time if I push
>> up a CC fader for example!

rectification: problem occurs also when DSP is off...

> i noticed something like that very recently as well.
> i had no time to investigate what is going on here, but i seem to
> remember that i was able to make it without connection-graph-changes as
> well (read below)
>

>> Something else: PD seems to eat a lot of CPU when connected with
>>

> "something else" is bad for replying. better to send an email for each
> unrelated question you have...

actually it's maybe related, but I forgot a part:
with FFADO, I noticed a big MIDI latency (2-3 seconds. Sound tested with
jdelay: without PD: ~10ms. 5ms more @ 96000/3 =15ms, seems pretty
good).  No problem with alsa!?! I thought maybe has to do with CPU usage...
>> -I noticed some bugs (or will be enhancement?):
>> when closing a patch (ctrl+w or mouse), dialog opens behind others (top
>> of PD main)... When 10 (sub)patches are opened it's something boring...
>>

> well known "feature" of Pd; should go away with the gui-rewrite
> currently undertaken.

good
>> -when PD opens, it connects everything in jack, not just I/O, same in
>> midi-connections... Maybe it's too much?
>>

> that was definitely meant as a feature.
> since i noticed pretty soon that it can be avoiding as well (esp. when
> autoconnecting to the MIDI-thru)
yes, especially midi-thru. I've just read the thread about autoconnect...
> , there is also a workaround: if you
> tell Pd to create to alsaseq ports (even if you only use one of them),
> it will not try to autoconnect.

How can I do that? searched on the web, but nothing...
> this might also have been the "solution" to the connection-graph-change
> problem.

hope so
thank's for your help