[PD] midi-out problem in jack/alsa

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Nov 20 10:44:55 CET 2009

Raphael Raccuia wrote:

> IOhannes m zmölnig a écrit :

> [ot] you have a weird mailer; indentation of quotes seems to be totally
> broken.
>
>> [ot]
>> ??? it's thunderbird and seems to work fine

weird.
then it's probably my mailer (thunderbird as well). quotes are displayed
fine as long a i view your mail, but when i reply all the ">" levels are
wrong. nevermind.

> and _later_ this:
> $ pd -alsamidi -mididev 1,1
>

>> -alsamidi was already in my pd launcher, so I added -mididev 1,1 (and
>> then in .pdsettings):
>> works great, I have now two midi clients in alsa-tab (ch 1-16 & 17-32)
>> and no graph connection change
>> I still don't understand what 1,1 means.

$ pd -help 2>&1 | grep midi
- -midiindev ...   -- midi in device list; e.g., "1,3" for first and third
- -midioutdev ...  -- midi out device list, same format
- -mididev ...     -- specify -midioutdev and -midiindev together

the commat notationn is Pd's way to handle multiple devices.
"-mididev 2" means (on OSS) that you want to open midi-device #2
(/dev/midi1)
"-mididev 1,3" means (on OSS) that you want to open 2 midi-devices (aka
ports; so you have channels 1-32), the 1st one being /dev/midi0, the 2nd
one /dev/midi2.
on alsaseq there is no concept of a fixed midi-device like on OSS.
therefore "-mididev 1" just means open one midi-port (channels 1-16).
"-mididev 2" means literally the same (like in OSS you are asking for a
single port; unlike in OSS you are not attaching Pd to an existing
_other_ device, but rather are offering ports; in this context the value
of the argument does not have much meaning)
"-mididev 1,2" means that you want to open 2 ports;  again the actual
values "1" and "2" don't matter.

i hope this helps.

fgamsdr
IOhannes