[PD] Finding "$0" and dealing with it in messages

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 22 22:34:02 CET 2009

--- On Mon, 11/16/09, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> From: Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Finding "$0" and dealing with it in messages
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "Roman Haefeli" <reduzierer at yahoo.de>, "Phil Stone" <pkstone at ucdavis.edu>, pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Monday, November 16, 2009, 8:59 PM
> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009, Jonathan Wilkes
> wrote:
> > --- On Mon, 11/16/09, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
> wrote:
> >> It doesn't work for those selectors: bang symbol
> list
> > Why do you say it doesn't work for list?
>
> because it doesn't.

Well, if you send the message "list 7" to [symbol] it will output
"symbol list," when, according to all_about_data_types.pd, it ought to
output "symbol float."  Other than this, are there instances where
[symbol] doesn't work correctly with lists?

> > As far as I can tell you just need [route bang
> symbol], two message boxes, and a [symbol] object.
> There's no need to protect the message boxes because
> whatever is coming out of inlet 0 and 1 of [route] is either
> a bang or a symbol, both of which will trigger the msg box's
> output without changing its content.
>
> You are right, two [b] are extraneous. You still need [b]
> to protect msgbox «symbol list» from [route list].

In light of what I wrote above, you'd actually need
[route bang symbol float] to correctly convert lists with one float
element.

-Jonathan