[PD] Finding "$0" and dealing with it in messages

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Nov 24 19:01:24 CET 2009

Hallo,
Jonathan Wilkes hat gesagt: // Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> Well, if you send the message "list 7" to [symbol] it will output
> "symbol list," when, according to all_about_data_types.pd, it ought to
> output "symbol float."

Here (Pd version 0.42.4) [symbol], the object box, outputs "symbol list".
However [symbol\, the graphical atom, shows "float". Probably some artifact of
automatic converson going on behind our backs. A third possibility would be to
bail out with an error "No message for list/float". I would prefer this
behaviour. It's consistent with the behaviour of [float] receiving a "list abc"
message.

Regarding all_about_data_types.pd: Personally I wouldn't trust this patch.

Ciao
--
Frank