[PD] problem with MIDI (linux)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Nov 25 09:53:34 CET 2009

chi ball wrote:

> Hi, I have a problem with pd 0.41.4 on Linux Mandriva 2010.
> I run JACK (qjackctl from terminal as root), and then I open pd.

running qjacktctl ist not running jack.
qjackctl is an interface to start/stop jack and handle connections.

> If in "media" I set: ALSA, ALSA-MIDI, in "testtone" audio is ok, MIDI is mute!

if you can use alsa fromwithin Pd, than jack is definitely not running.
only one application can use alsa at a time: either it's Pd or it is
jack (which can then be used by Pd) or it's something else.

> If in "media" I set "jack", audio and midi in testtone are mute.
> (In jack connections, pure data is connect with snd_emu10k1...)

you have to manually start jackd before you are able to use jack from
within Pd (at least with most versions of Pd).

do any other jack applications work?

iirc, you should use the same user to start jackd and Pd.
so if you run Pd as user "chi", than you should also run jackd as user
"chi". the same if you use root (which i don't recommend; you should
rather fix your /etc/security/limits.conf to be able to run realtime
processes as member of the audio-group).

> My sound card use "snd_emu10k1" driver.
> I can listen correctly MIDI with Timidity...,sound from cd or YT..)
> sound card is ok)

as said by others, jack and alsamidi are kind of unrelated.
you can handle the connections for both using qjackctl (newer versions
of which have a third connection management for "jack-midi" (titled
"MIDI" or "JACK-MIDI"), which is not used by Pd at all.
make sure that Pd turns up in the alsa-midi panel and connect it's
outlet (left column) to an inlet (right column). for testing purposes,
try connecting Pd-out to Pd-in and see whether you get the MIDI-messages
sent from Pd back in.

same with jack-audio.
watch for errors in the jack-message pane.

fgasdmr
IOhannes