[PD] PD and equal loudness: any ideas on approaching good live sound?

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Wed Nov 25 10:48:52 CET 2009

Hi Dan

Am 22.11.09 21:15 schrieb "Dan Wilcox" unter <danomatika at gmail.com>:
> What do you guys do for your live set?  Do you do some sort of EQ/compression
> on the final stage before going out the the dac~?

This applies only to generated live music, that is not using live input. I
usually setup my usual chain of one or two compressors followed by a
limiter. When using two compressors, the first one uses rather long attack
and release times with rather lower threshold (which does some basic
levelling), while the second 'kinks' the peaks by using a short attack and
release and a higher threshold. And the limiter does - yeah, limiting.

While being often not a friend of too much post-processing, i found it can
help a lot to make the the output sound more balanced and more pleasing to
the ear in difficult acoustic situations. I remember once when we had a
netpd live session on the radio, i was surprised how punchy even a 'naked'
saw can sound (after having passed all the stages, that  prepare the signal
for broadcasting).

The compressor and limiter mentioned above can be downloaded (and have zexy
as a depencency):
http://www.netpd.org/Dynlib

Roman