[PD] Finding "$0" and dealing with it in messages

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Wed Nov 25 13:42:23 CET 2009

Am 25.11.09 10:50 schrieb "Frank Barknecht" unter <fbar at footils.org>:

> Of course you have to learn every single object behaviour separately! There's
> no way around it.

Of course, i was not going to question that. However, i consider it
sub-optimal, that several object classes treat the very same data type so
differently. The fact, that you have to learn every single object behaviour
does certainly not justify, that [list 45(->[symbol] = 'symbol list',
whereas [list 45(->[symbol\ = 'symbol float'. This difference in behaviour
seems pretty arbitrary to me (please correct me). I'm not getting any
smarter by knowing this.
To me, it is not even clear, when data types are converted, in cases when
conversion happens at all. Does it happen at the 'inlet', or the 'outlet'?
at both? Knowing this would probably make me any smarter and would allow me
to make predictions about how certain objects behave in certain situations.
Thinking of the the [symbol] vs. [symbol\ and the [route] example (you
mention below), one is just left with trying out the different cases and
remember them.

> [prepend] in Cyclone is different from [list prepend], and
> that's by design, not a bug (as symbol-selector handling in [route] might be).

We don't know if it is a bug, but it doesn't seem logical in a common sense
of the word 'logical'.