[PD] problem with MIDI (linux)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Nov 26 09:42:45 CET 2009

chi ball wrote:

> Then I open JACK connections: I see 2 windows: AUDIO and MIDI. Here, in both windows,  I connect pd with
> my SB LIVE! sound card.

good.

> 1)in a audio patch (for example a simple oscillator with a slide..) *I can listen sound correctly* (even if
> with a fastidious background noise) and I can change frequency well with the slide.

good (whatever the source of your background noise is; probably there is
some hardware mixer that connects an open input to the output)

> 2)in a midi patch (a patch certainly correct, tested in o.s. Windows..!) *I can't listen anything*.
> I see numbers change, but *no sound*.

well.
you have connected the MIDI-out of Pd to the MIDI-sink of your soundcard.
i would expect that this means that you are sending the MIDI data to the
"MIDI-out" jack on your soundcard.
if you have connected a synth to the MIDI-out of your soundcard, than
you should hear something.
i don't know whether your soundcard has a built-in synth, but if so, you
probably have to load a soundfont or similar first (if it work on linux
at all; i have no experience withsuch things).

if you have neither external synth nor built-into-your-soundcard synth,
you can as well run a software synth, e.g. timidity.

fgmadr
IOhannes