[PD] Finding "$0" and dealing with it in messages

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu Nov 26 14:50:08 CET 2009

Am 26.11.09 12:13 schrieb "Frank Barknecht" unter <fbar at footils.org>:
>> Unfortunately, knowing this doesn't make me understand what happens here -
>> for instance:
>>
>> [list 23(
>> |
>> [print]
>>
>> which produces simply '23' in the pd window. Now, does the message box
>> object do some evaluation and effectively sends 'float 23' instead of 'list
>> 23', or is the [print] that does some reformatting and treats single element
>> lists as 'float' or 'symbol' messages?
>
> Apart from the fact that [print] is a very bad helper in this case, I don't
> know where and how "list 23" is made to be 23, see above. :(

I found another interesting example:

  [float velo(

Clicking on this message box raises the following error:

  error: Bad arguments for message 'float' to object 'messresponder'

Obviously, the message box already does some parsing and tries to generate a
'coherent' pd message, which fails in this case.

btw: funny milleresque name: 'messresponder' :-)

roman