[PD] Finding "$0" and dealing with it in messages

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Nov 26 21:35:05 CET 2009

On Nov 25, 2009, at 12:48 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>>> Regarding all_about_data_types.pd: Personally I wouldn't trust this
>>> patch.
>>

>> Its a patch with examples, if you don't trust the examples, then that
>> seems to mean you don't trust Pd ;)
>
> To me the fundamental flaw of the data types patch is that it tries
> to infer
> information about Pd's "data types" from the behaviour of selected
> objects, but
> doesn't explain the underlying mechanisms.
>
> Single objects unfortunatly often behave inconsistently  or not as
> one maybe
> would expect (e.g. [route list symbol] strips list- but not symbol-
> selectors).
> IMO an explanation of the mechanisms is imporant to understand,
> where or why
> objects behave "strange". all_about_data_types.pd doesn't even use
> the word
> "selector" anywhere. Instead it talks about "casting" but doesn't
> explain what
> that means (in the patch it means adding a "symbol"-selector to a
> meta-message).
> It has several vague sentences in it like: "Many objects cast the
> data they
> receive when they output it" or "Some objects do not cast the
> data".  This
> doesn't make me any smarter.
>
> All in all, I don't think, the patch tells you "All About Data
> Types". But
> maybe it just has a misleading name.

It should be all about data types, but it doesn't doesn't cover
everything.  Please add to it, its in SVN in doc/pddp.  Those patches
are there to be improved!

'You people have such restrictive dress for women,’ she said, hobbling
away in three inch heels and panty hose to finish out another pink-
collar temp pool day.  - “Hijab Scene #2", by Mohja Kahf