[PD] problem with MIDI (linux)

chi ball c_cb at hotmail.it
Sun Nov 29 18:52:01 CET 2009

> Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 09:57:48 +0100
> Subject: Re: [PD] problem with MIDI (linux)
> From: reduzierer at yahoo.de
> To: c_cb at hotmail.it; zmoelnig at iem.at
> CC: pd-list at iem.at
>
> Hi Chi
>

> Am 26.11.09 01:49 schrieb "chi ball" unter <c_cb at hotmail.it>:

> > Now, running some patch in pd, happen this:
> >
> > 1)in a audio patch (for example a simple oscillator with a slide..) *I can
> > listen sound correctly* (even if
> > with a fastidious background noise) and I can change frequency well with the
> > slide.
>
> From the audio I/O errors you mention below, i can tell you that you're
> still running pd with alsa, but not with jackd. After having made sure, that
> your jackd is running correctly, try this in a terminal:
>
> pd -rt -jack -channels 2

With this jack run correctly! ..sound is clean, without noise. Thank you! :)

> Usually, you don't need even to manually connect pd to the soundcard in the
> connection window of qjackctl, but the connection should happen
> automatically.

When I run pd, in "media" I see: "jack" and "default midi" already setted. I change only "default midi" in "alsa midi".

Then I open "qjackctl" panel, and I found 3 windows:

- in the first ("audio") I must connect manually "pure_data_0" with "system".
-in the second window (midi) I don't set anything.
-in the thrd window ("Alsa") I found already all connected.

> > 2)in a midi patch (a patch certainly correct, tested in o.s. Windows..!) *I
> > can't listen anything*.
> > I see numbers change, but *no sound*.
>
> Ok, i think, i kind of understand now, what you mean. If you send in windows
> MIDI to your SB Live, it'll produce GeneralMidi synthesizer sounds. I don't
> know how this works in details, i guess in some cases it is simply a
> software synthesizer in the driver.  Probably some soundcards have this
> capability built into the hardware.  The fact, that you don't hear anything
> in linux, when sending MIDI from pd, doesn't mean, that your Pd MIDI doesn't
> work, it simply means, that you're lacking a similar setup with some kind of
> synth. There are a lot of synths available also in linux, you might find
> one, that suits your needs. You would then need to connect Pd to 'yourSynth'
> in the connection window in the MIDI tab.

Now I listen also MIDI notes, and this is due to a connection between "puredata" and "timididy" in "Alsa" window of qjackctl.

But I have a little *problem*:
- if I make a patch to generate midi notes repeated, with a metro (for example [metro 200]) I listen the rithm irregular (instead in Windows -on the same pc- the rithm is perfect..)
-if in the same patch I change [metro 200] in [metro 10] the midi notes output goes in crash, is'n possible play midi notes speadily (instead in Windows this is possible).

Any suggestion for this problem?
Thanks,

P.S.: my o.s. is Mandriva 2010.0

:)