[PD] no audio in -nogui mode

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Nov 30 07:07:43 CET 2009

So I have a Debian/stable box for a sound installation and I want to
run pd with -nogui on it.  But it is acting insane.  Basically, when I
run Pd with a GUI, everything works fine.  When I add -nogui, pd can't
read/write the audio devices.  I've tried:

- ALSA and OSS
- root and other users
- Pd-extended 0.41.4 and 0.42.5 and Pd-vanilla 0.41.4

Here's what I get with OSS:
pd at arg:~$ pd -nogui /tmp/test.pd
/dev/dsp (read/write): Device or resource busy
(now will try write-only...)
/dev/dsp (writeonly): Device or resource busy
/dev/dsp (readonly): Device or resource busy
audio I/O stuck... closing audio

Here's what I get with ALSA:
pd at arg:~$ pd -alsa -nogui /tmp/test.pd
snd_pcm_open (input): Device or resource busy
snd_pcm_open (output): Device or resource busy

Any ideas?

Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a more
direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in practice,
it can change entire economies.     - Amy Smith