[PD] no audio in -nogui mode

Justin Glenn Smith noisesmith at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 07:33:21 CET 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> So I have a Debian/stable box for a sound installation and I want to run
> pd with -nogui on it.  But it is acting insane.  Basically, when I run
> Pd with a GUI, everything works fine.  When I add -nogui, pd can't
> read/write the audio devices.  I've tried:
>
> - ALSA and OSS
> - root and other users
> - Pd-extended 0.41.4 and 0.42.5 and Pd-vanilla 0.41.4
>
> Here's what I get with OSS:
> pd at arg:~$ pd -nogui /tmp/test.pd
> /dev/dsp (read/write): Device or resource busy
> (now will try write-only...)
> /dev/dsp (writeonly): Device or resource busy
> /dev/dsp (readonly): Device or resource busy
> audio I/O stuck... closing audio
>

> Here's what I get with ALSA:
> pd at arg:~$ pd -alsa -nogui /tmp/test.pd
> snd_pcm_open (input): Device or resource busy
> snd_pcm_open (output): Device or resource busy
>
> Any ideas?

I have no trouble here on debian stable using the jack output. Do you
have more than one sound card? I think you need to specify the sound
card on the command line, because otherwise it tries the first card it
finds and fails if it cannot open that one.

On the subject: pd does not auto-connect in for me because it always
tries to connect to my midi controller instead of the sound card. I am
happy with this because I prefer to connect manually anyway, but I guess it is worth checking out if you want autoconnecting to happen. There is a
check in the jack API IIRC to test whether a given physical device
accepts sound input (jack can handle midi also).