[PD] Very large patches unstable?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Dec 2 12:47:59 CET 2009

Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:

>> I've certainly used patches with
>> 500-1000 abstraction instances without problem, I guess I
>> haven't tried 4600.

> The greatest frustration is when you carefully design something so that
> size (e.g. number of instances) shouldn't be a problem, you strongly
> test it within a certain 'size' and verify it is rock-solid, and then,
> when you have everything working and your project grows a little bit and
> you just add a couple more instances of something, it stasrts crashing....

hmm, so what is your suggestion to solve the problem?

either you restrict people to what they can do on purpose, or you allow
them to go beyond limits.
in some aspects, Pd does the former, in many it does the latter (which
is the strength of Pd, i believe).
however, pushing the limits inevitably also means hitting the limits.
since the limits are always expanding, it is a bad target for development.
rather i would have people who reach them, report here and provide
examples how to reach these limits, so they can be fixed.

"i find Pd frustrating because it is so unstable" is for me a highly
frustrating statement.

<lines intentionally left blang to fill in the usualy rant on FLOSS
software and the user>

mgfasdr
IOhannes