[PD] Very large patches unstable?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Dec 2 15:56:55 CET 2009

I'm currently working heavy on a patch that has 100ish abstractions
that loads 1.1gigs of samples into memory, and it hasn't crashed yet.
It does certainly take a couple minutes to load tho.  But once it
loads, I can work for days without restarting the patch, even thru
putting the computer to sleep.  I'm running Pd-extended 0.42.5-20091112.

One thing I have noticed is that there was no feedback that the patch
is loading.  Pd just stops responding while loading the patch.  This
could be interpreted as a crash, but its not.  Wait, and it'll
eventually load.  And I added a "watch" mouse cursor for Pd-extended
when its loading, so that should help communicate that Pd is busy

As for shortening load times, Claude wrote code for caching
abstractions which dramatically speeds things up, that would be nice
to have, but it is also tricky to do. What's more important, faster
load times or less bugs?  That's my concern.

.hc