[PD] Very large patches unstable?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Dec 2 20:13:49 CET 2009

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:

> are not implemented in the most optimized way, that is for example,
> double linked lists are used where more efficient data structures could
> be used.

In almost all of Pd, singly-linked lists are used. That's even more
inefficient than doubly-linked lists.

> I simply guess that in some cases, an implementation that is O(n^2) is
> chosen just because it is the easiest one, where a O(nlogn) is possible.

Quite often, it's even O(n) vs O(n^2).

> really safe to assume 'n' won't ever be big enough? Isn't it worth using
> a more efficient data structure? Can I really assume that it would be
> 'foolish' to have n>[some value here]? Or maybe not?"

I agree about this but it would be foolish to not think about how those
modifications to the source code would get distributed. There's not much
that I would bother to write for pd-vanilla, without à priori getting an
explicit note from the man, certifying that the proposal won't sit for
æternal rest in the holy sourceforget repository of forgotten diffs.

> Allowing to go beyound the limits means designing things in such a way
> that they can be used in ways that the developer haven't thought about.
> And wherever a physical, numerical, well-defined limit still exists,
> which is unavoidable, it MUST be documented.

You can't learn that in a culture that encourages people to think of
programming by imagining an infinite, strictly-monotonous sequence of
ever-bigger computers, whereby if a given programme runs on any infinite
subsequence of those computers, it's all fine. ;)

> Sometimes however the bugs are too difficult to isolate,

If you still have not tried Valgrind, now is the time. It does wonders.

> Perhaps I should sometimes share also the great joys and satisfactions
> it gives me, and not only the frustrations which are a small percentage.

I'm guilty of that too.