[PD] Finding "$0" and dealing with it in messages

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Dec 4 02:42:27 CET 2009

On Nov 29, 2009, at 3:26 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>>> Or it will make you add a [list trim] in front of most [route]
>>> objects.  (Btw.:
>>> all_about_data_types.pd doesn't have a single [list trim]
>>> inside ...)
>>
>> Add something about [list trim].  :)  all_about_data_types is older
>> than
>> than the list object.
>
> I have written a bit about Pd's messages on puredata.info, feel free
> to quote
> as much as you like. I'm not the right person to fix pd-extended
> docs. I
> can't even create all objects in that patch and bug 2026128 is still
> open,
> which indicates, that we believe different things about data types and
> messages. I don't want to get into that discussion again. :)

The PDDP docs predate pd-extended.  The PDDP could easily be
distributed or used by anyone. That patch is related to PDDP.  But
yes, Pd-extended does include the PDDP docs.  What's the point of
writing all this email about the topic if it doesn't actually end up
in something useful?  Few people read the archives...

I don't understand this anti-Pd-extended puritanism.  Does
distributing docs or code in Pd-extended somehow taint it with evil?
I think the PDDP docs are mostly really good.  Most of that work was
done by Dave Sabine.  Why wouldn't we use it and keep it up to date?

Mistrust authority - promote decentralization.  - the hacker ethic