[PD] FT232 and PD (OSX)

Felix Obée felix at amphibiousthoughts.com
Mon Dec 7 15:02:27 CET 2009

Hello together,

this is my first post to this list, so please take it easy on me if I missed some point or my problem is trivial.

Here's the project:
I am building a system of approximately 200 little speakers that can be switched on/off individually. This works via 4066 8bit-registers that are filled by an atmega. I want to use PD to feed the atmega the bits that then go into the registers. At the same time I want to feed a step motor and get feedback about its current position.

Here's the question:
Has anybody here experience with using an ft232 (http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/FT232BM.htm) with PD? It provides a virtual serial port via usb and appears the easiest (cheapest) way to communicate. I'm using OSX and drivers for the chip are provided.

I am not at all firm with PD right now. Last time I used Max/MSP an thats about 5 years ago. As I understand, the [comport] object works with OSX now. I couldn't find much in the forum about sending data to the outside. Most things seem to be done via Arduino and its derivates…

Thanks for your help.

cheers
ff