[PD] How to access audio files from disk randomly?

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Dec 8 22:39:28 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 11:47 +0000, James Dunn wrote:
> Hi Roman,
>
> I just installed readanysf~ again on my new install of Ubuntu 9.10 and
> had no problems. Obviously you need gavl and gmerlin-avdecode. I also
> had to install libgmerlin0.
> It doesn't return the number of channels but you can specify a number
> (default is 2) and it will upmix or downmix all channels accordingly.
> I don't know about the iostream.h error.

Thank you a lot. Your help shed quite some light on many issues I
encountered with getting readanysf~ running.
I was wrongly assuming, that I find the newest version in Pd svn.
However, in the svn version, there is no mention of the version
whatsoever. The mention of flext and the lack of mention of gmerlin made
it finally clear, that this likely is a very old version. On [1] I could
find a more recent version, which is most likely the one you were
referring to. Compiling gmerlin_avdecoder was also very difficult, at
least on ubuntu 9.10 (haven't tried on another OS). I tried four
different versions (including a current cvs checkout) and when doing
'make' all failed with different errors. From googling around a bit, it
seems, that the version of gcc shipped with ubuntu 9.10 (4.4.1) is
pretty picky. I just commented out the offending lines in the source
code (yeah, this is crude, but i didn't know what else to do) and
finally it compiled. After all, [readanysf~] compiled and loads. You
must be lucky or smart and i must be dumb or i made something terribly
wrong.

@August (or any dev who took over the maintenance of readanysf~):
Would it be possible to check in the new sources of readanysf~? I mean,
if there is no reason for not having them there. Thanks!

Roman

[1]: http://aug.ment.org/readanysf/download.php