[PD] message box issue with blank spaces

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 12:19:06 CET 2009

Frank Barknecht wrote:
 > Bryan Jurish wrote:
 > > afaik, the issue you're observing is due to the message box,
 > > which uses
 > > t_binbuf internally to (re-)parse messages into pd atoms.
 >
 > I think, it only happens on saving or reloading of a patch,
 > though.

No, as I noted before it also happens if you edit the message box manually.

 > For example
 > in the attachement a numeric symbol is generated with
 > [makefilename %d] and
 > written to a message box. While this symbol looks like a number,
 > it is in fact
 > a symbol (as intended) and cannot be used for calculations
 > (but it can be used as text in Gem).

Until you click on the message box in edit mode, and for example add a
space (or whatever) at the end, and delete it if you want, to leave the
content apparently unchanged. Then the content of the box is reparsed (I
guess) and the "123" becomes a real float: if you bang it, the [+] will
perform the sum successfully.

--
Matteo Sisti Sette
matteosistisette at gmail.com