[PD] Motion Plus Data to be used with Puredata/OSC-Data-stream

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Dec 14 21:19:24 CET 2009

Luigi Rensinghoff wrote:
> Hi Florian, Johannes an Mike
>
>            after a little abstinence period i want to come back to my
> wiimote experiments and would like to know
> how far the integration of the MotionPlus into the pd-external went
> meanwhile.

don't know about the integration into PdX.
i have used the MotionPlus successfully in an installation with 6 wiis
in parallel.

> I setup up my laptop-environment and downloaded the latest stuff from svn.
>
> So my first step was trying to compile it on my ubuntu laptop and some
> questions aroused, which
> are based on the fact that i still dont know enough of c-programming and
> the compilation process.
>
> I looked into the makefile.org file and tried to set up all pathes
> according to my system and here is my first
> question:
>
> it is referring to this part of the makefile.org

why use makefile.org? is something wrong wrong with Makefile?

> Is that Right ???
>
> I am always confused whether the path means the location of the sources
> or the binaries.....

not sure whether i fully understand.
you will need to find the headers (m_pd.h; cwiid.h) and the libraries
(libcwiid.so)

is it possible to properly install libcwiid "properly" (make install)?

> I get the following error:
> in line 55: balance_cal hat unvollständigen Typen
> unbenutzter Parameter für "mesg", "timestamp" "ap"
>
> nicht deklariert für "CWIID_FLAG_MOTIONPLUS"

which version of libcwiid are you using?

you should use at least the version from svn for the MotionPlus)
(though there are problems with >2 wiis with that. flo has a hacked
version of cwiid for that)

> i guess some pathes are not set right....

it's more like an incomatible header file...

> Another thing i never know wit the declaration of pathes...
>
> When do i use " " " quotes ??
>
> like in
>
> PD_PATH="/opt/sw/pure-data/pd"
> or
> PD_PATH=/opt/sw/pure-data/pd

shouldn't matter here.

> do i need the first slash ??

yes

> why is somtime an "I" used and sometimes not ?

it's not "I" but "-I"
the compiler takes arguments like "-I/path/to/more/headers" to add more
search paths for include files (the linker uses "-L/path/to/more/libraries")

so the makefile often looks like:
PD_PATH=/opt/sw/pure-data/pd
CFLAGS="-I$(PD_PATH)/src"

(which will expand to the CompilerFLAGS "-I/opt/sw/pure-data/pd/src",
effectively adding the path to the directories searched for e.g. "m_pd.h")

> i looked for the locations of my header files:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> /usr/include
> #include <unistd.h>
> /usr/include/sys and
> /usr/include
> #include <sys/select.h>
> #include <bluetooth/bluetooth.h>
> #include <m_pd.h>
> /usr/include and
> /opt/sw/pure-data/pd/src
> #include <math.h>
> /usr/include
> #include <cwiid.h>
> /opt/sw/cwiid-0.6.00/libcwiid/
> /usr/local/include
>
> So my makefile should look like that - i thought....

if the m_pd.h in /usr/include and /opt/... is the same and the cwiid.h
in /usr/local/... and /opt/... are the same, you shouldn't need to set
any special paths.

well, this doesn't help you much since i'm saying that everything should
work but it doesn't...but you really should use an svn version of
libcwiid: http://abstrakraft.org/cwiid/svn/trunk)
attached is a patch against cwiid (rev201) that adds multiresolution
MotionPlus data.
in this case i also created a Make.local (for the external), containing
<snip>
PD_INCLUDE += -DHAVE_CWIID_MOTIONPLUS_LOWSPEED
</snip>

mar
IOhannes