[PD] jackd ports rename

Martin Schied crinimal at gmx.net
Thu Dec 17 13:07:11 CET 2009

becks wrote:
> Hi all,
> i use jackd and i have 12 in and 20 out ports (ie: pd -rt -jack
> -inchannels 12 -outchannels 20)
>
> any way to rename the jack ports in pd?
> now i have pure_data_0:input[0-9] and pure_data_0:output[0-19] , but i
> want a more self-explaining name
> (i think i can rename ports from qjackctl, but i want a more general
> and portable solution)
>
> thanks!

Hi,

I once posted a similar feature request because I also could not find a
better way to change client names but got no answer...

The Idea was to have a custom name specified as startup flag or via
.pdsettings file. Apart from more self explaining names in bigger setups
this would also be great for projects using lash on linux. (this allows
you to start all audio applications you use at once, and automatically
connect them together.)

I tried to do it on my own but became kind of confused by my changed
code and gave up (at least temporarily). I think everything necessary to
change is in s_audio_jack.c and s_main.c. If anybody can confirm that,
I'll try to figure it out again, but I have no time before christmas.

cheers
Martin