[PD] pd-extended is not extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Dec 24 21:55:53 CET 2009

On Dec 24, 2009, at 12:22 PM, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
> Ok, I manually added a library in preferences/startup (which worked
> after restarting pd) and searched for it in the registry, thus
> figuring out that the startup settings are being saved to and loaded
> from:
>
> HKEY_USERS\(some_long_id)\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE
> \SOFTWARE\PD

Yes, on Windows, they'll share preferences.  I suppose that shouldn't
be, like Pd-extended should use "Pd-extended" as the registry path.
File a bug report/feature request if you want it to be, and I'll take
a look when I have time.

> So:
>
> 1) Is it an error in the .reg file that stores the settings in a
> location different from that actually used by pd, or is it Vista
> that uses a different location than XP? or is it some setting in
> Windows that the user can change (obviously for all programs but I
> wouldn't mind)?

So perhaps there is an error, btu I don't have access to a Vista
machine.  I think other people are using Pd-extneded on Vista, maybe
they can help.  If you think there is a problem/bug, then please file
a bug report.

> Matteo Sisti Sette escribió:
>>
>> 2) My other question remains that is: how can I have a PD extended
>> and a PD Vanilla on the same computer?
>
> Well I guess one solution would be to create a .BAT file to load pd
> with the -lib option and the whole list of libraries (which I can
> get from the .reg file).
> Will that be all (provided that I use the binary from pd extended
> with its whole folder), or would I miss something that way (some
> path setting or whatever)?

Yeah, at .bat for Pd-vanilla or add -noprefs to the shortcut for
launching Pd-vanilla.

hc

Access to computers should be unlimited and total.  - the hacker ethic