[PD] compiling pd vanilla problems on OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Dec 29 18:15:09 CET 2009

On Dec 28, 2009, at 1:19 PM, Rich E wrote:

> Hans,
>
> The gui rewrite version works fine on my computer, but I need Pd-
> Vanilla/Extented for testing purposes.  Not to mention, there are
> various small bugs in the gui rewrite branch that make it difficult
> to use when I'm making music.

Please report them, so that I can fix them.  Now's the time for the
final push on the new GUI code since Miller is working on tying it all
into the 0.43 release.

> The problem is also that the wacom external I am working with * only
> * works with the pd-gui-rewrite branch, but I don't know if that is
> because I compiled it from source (with maybe a different version of
> Tcl/Tk) or because you re-wrote the Tk code to use Apple Events in a
> different way.

I didn't really do anything explicit with Apple Events, but it is a
ground-up rewrite.  Depending on where you got your build, it could be
using Tcl/Tk 8.5.  You can check that with the [hcs/tcl_version] object.

> About 64-bit, I've decided to just compile all my music software as
> 32-bit for now, it seems to be too early for most apps still to run
> everything as 64-bit (and no real gain any way).  Most everything
> pre-compiled (ex. pd-extended) is 32-bit, anyway.
>
> So, that said, anyone have any suggestions on what is going wrong
> with my libPdTcl.dylib? The version included with Pd-extended is
> also i386, yet tk doesn't complain about it when running Wish...

Run "file libPdTcl.dylib" to see what kind of binary it is.  That
whole thing is such a kludge... I shudder to even think about it.
Plus its totally gone in 0.43.  As for 64-bit, that's something we do
need to get fixed.

.hc

> [...]
>> external.
>>
>> Rich
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 12:29 AM, Rich E <reakinator at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> I hope someone can help me fix the last problem on this list, it is
>> blocking me (libPdTcl.dylib wrong architecture).  I can't see why
>> it is detected as the wrong architecture, everything I check says
>> it is i386 compatible.
>>
>> I did remove alot from the configure.in file trying to get it work,
>> so maybe there is a problem there.  It is attached.
>>
>> merry christmas, feliz navidad és boldog karácsonzyt (i think I may
>> have barely missed it in my time)!
>>
>> - rich
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 4:44 AM, Rich E <reakinator at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am having problems compiling pd from Miller's website in OS X
>> Snow Leopard.  Basically, Pd fell behind Apple's updates.  Here are
>> my problems, fixes where I found them:
>>
>> - the configure script automatically adds -isysroot blah blah for
>> the 10.4 sdk, which doesn't work.  this line is removed.
>> - the included portaudio (and more importantly, its coreaudio
>> components) with pd does not match the coreaudio framework included
>> with Snow Leopard.  There are lots of deprecations and finally
>> undeclared methods.  I tried just updating the source code from
>> that in portaudio's svn, but this led to further undefined calls
>> that I don't remember.
>> - using '-disable-portaudio' doesn't do any good because it is
>> automatically added if you are on OS X (I wanted to just use jack
>> since portaudio is outdated).
>> - I had to remove all '-arch' flags except i386 to get everything
>> linked.
>>
>> Okay, after that, it compiled. whew. Still, pd's gui will not run
>> because libPdTcl.dylib either isn't found or is the wrong
>> architecture, I still can't tell:
>>
>> $ pd -jack
>> Error in startup script: dlopen(/usr/local/lib/pd/bin/../bin/
>> libPdTcl.dylib, 10): no suitable image found.  Did find:
>>     /usr/local/lib/pd/bin/../bin/libPdTcl.dylib: mach-o, but wrong
>> architecture
>>     while executing
>> "load $pd_guidir/bin/libPdTcl.dylib"
>>     invoked from within
>> "if {$pd_nt == 2} {
>> # turn on James Tittle II's fast drawing
>>     set tk::mac::useCGDrawing 1
>> # anti-alias all lines that need it
>>     set tk::mac::CGAnt..."
>>     (file "/usr/local/lib/pd/bin/pd.tk" line 67)
>> ^CPd: signal 2
>>
>> It is there, they are all i386 and tcl/tk are universal binaries,
>> so I don't know.  Anyone else?
>>
>> Running pd with no gui and jack works.
>>
>> regards,
>> Rich

> Man has survived hitherto because he was too ignorant to know how to
> realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
> change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams

Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
related to the telescope.      -Edsger Dykstra