[PD] using the same shader in multiple places

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 16:59:28 CET 2009

Hi,

Is it legal to load the same shader (i.e. the same .vert and .frag
files) multiple times? I.e. have an abstraction with a [glsl_vertex], a
[glsl_fragment] and a [glsl_program], and multiple instances of this
abstraction?

I ask this because I did this and pd crashes as soon as I open the
gemwin. I had some trivial errors in the shader files before, and I got
the compiler error messages without crashes, but then I corrected the
error and now it crashes.
Obviously there may be a lot of other reasons for the crash but I have
to guess.

Is there another way to use the same shader in multiple places? For
example, I see [glsl_program] outputs an id in its right outlet: can I
perhaps use that ID to use that shader elsewhere? If so, how? In this
case, would each "instance" of the shader have its own value of
"uniform" parameters?

By the way, I should probably ask a more basic question: is it legal to
have more than one [glsl_program]s (meaning a [glsl_vertex] a
[glsl_fragment] and a [glsl_program]), no matter whether with the same
or different shader programs, "under" the same [gemhead], provided that
they are in different "subchains" with [separator]s?

Thanks
m.

--
Matteo Sisti Sette