[PD] pd-gui-rewrite testing

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Jan 4 04:40:49 CET 2010

First off, which platform?  Is this still Mac OS X 10.6?  If so, 10.6
has a built-in custom version of Tcl/Tk 8.5.7 that uses Cocoa for the
back end rather than Carbon.  Tcl/Tk 8.6 will only use this Cocoa
backend, but will work on Mac OS X 10.5.  It would be good to flush
out these bugs and report them to the tcl-mac list so that they can
get fixed.

One thing to try is using one of the nightly builds, which include Tcl/
Tk 8.5.7/Carbon.  I think they should work on 10.6:
http://autobuild.puredata.info/auto-build/latest/

On Nov 16, 2009, at 1:55 PM, Rich E wrote:

> Hi List, Hans,
>
> I've been using the pd-gui-rewrite-0.43 svn for a couple days now
> and here are some notes I've taken when finding various bugs (is the
> better sent to the pd-dev list?):
>
> • In Audio Settings, the text in the drop down menus is hardly
> visible because it is very light grey

Never seen that, screenshot?

> • there is a new menu item called 'apple' with "about pd" and
> preferences"

Known issue with the Tk/Cocoa, haven't found a workaround yet.

> • editing an object name:
> ‣ moving with arrows adds a space to the end, but does not move
> within the object name

Hmm, can't reproduce, Tk/Cocoa issue?

> • opening "about pd" gives an error:
> ‣ Error: can't read "pd_myversion": no such variable"
> ‣ an't read "pd_myversion": no such variable
> can't read "pd_myversion": no such variable
>     while executing
> "regsub -all PD_VERSION $bigstring2 $pd_myversion bigstring3"
>     (procedure "::pd_menucommands::menu_opentext" line 15)
>     invoked from within
> "::pd_menucommands::menu_opentext "$dirname/$basename""
>     (".txt" arm line 1)
>     invoked from within
> "switch -- [string tolower [file extension $basename]] {
>         ".txt"    {::pd_menucommands::menu_opentext "$dirname/
> $basename"
>         } ".c"    {::..."
>     (procedure "menu_doc_open" line 4)
>     invoked from within
> "menu_doc_open doc/1.manual 1.introduction.txt"
>     (menu invoke)

Its not implemented yet...  I was hoping to make "About Pd" a pd patch.

> I have some time on my hands now that I finished my Master's, and
> frankly I think the pd-vanilla GUI is unpleasant, so I could learn
> tcl/tk and help out, if needed.

That would be great!  Your reports have already been helpful.  I'm
going to be in pretty deep this month till its finished and merged
into Miller's 0.43 version.  He's been relatively scarse on the lists,
but we've been working thru this stuff off-list.

"Making boring techno music is really easy with modern tools, but with
live coding, boring techno is much harder." - Chris McCormick