[PD] Using "all_about_x" patches as abstractions in help files

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 4 04:55:13 CET 2010

--- On Mon, 1/4/10, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:

> From: Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
> Subject: Re: Using "all_about_x" patches as abstractions in help files
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "Pd List" <pd-list at iem.at>
> Date: Monday, January 4, 2010, 2:03 AM
>
> Glad to see you thinking about improving the docs :)
> We tried the abstraction thing before, but got in trouble
> because so much stuff got loaded when loading a single help
> patch, then there were also seemingly endless loops of

Well it wouldn't be a problem if you're only using abstractions in this
manner in help patches and not in the "all_about_x" patches.  But I guess this restriction means the method doesn't scale well.

> I'd prefer to get pddplink working well and use it
> throughout.  It seems to be the best approach, provided
> it works.  Can you describe the problem with pddplink
> or provide an example patch?

I don't think pddplink likes spaces in the filename.

Ok, in windows xp open the pd browser and in the examples/pddp/, click on
pddplink-test-01.pd.  All the links should work.  Now go in and change
the name of the containing folder from "pddp" to "pddp bug".  Now when
you open that same patch, you'll get a tk error message for every
[pddplink] object (excluding the ones with the -box flag).

But I don't understand why I don't see the error message in the first
place, because pd/doc/examples/pddp/ is in the "Program Files" folder.

-Jonathan