[PD] 'relocate' message

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 5 01:16:58 CET 2010

--- On Tue, 1/5/10, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:

> From: Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD] 'relocate' message
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>, "PD List" <pd-list at iem.at>
> Date: Tuesday, January 5, 2010, 12:26 AM
>
> On Jan 4, 2010, at 1:50 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

> > On Jan 3, 2010, at 1:14 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> wrote:

> <hans at at.or.at>

> move/resize
> to simplify that
> pd-gui-rewrite 0.43.
> it no longer needs

> know of:

> this:
> >>>>

> "relocate   WIDTHxHEIGHT+XLoc+YLoc"

> "relocate   WIDTHxHEIGHT+0+0

> simply be "relocate WIDTH HEIGHT
> vanilla, I've always thought it seems
> one big symbol..

> >> Hmm, that makes sense. I wonder if this should
> just have the same syntax as 'canvas', so:
> >>
> >> relocate x1 y1 x2 y2
> >>
> >> Where x is the upper left corner, and y is the
> lower right corner.
> >

> > So I restored the old relocate message, and added a
> new message which the GUI now uses a new message
> 'whxy'.  'whxy' stands for Width/Height/X/Y.
> Width/Height is the size of the window, and (x,y) is where
> the upper-left corner is located:
> >
> > whxy width height xPosition yPosition
> > whxy 450 300 0 22
> >
> > I am now thinking that perhaps I should make it called
> 'setbounds' after the old internal function, and make it
> mirror that:
> >
> >    canvas_setbounds(x, xpos, ypos, xpos +
> width, ypos + height);
> >
> > i.e. "setbounds Xleft Ytop Xright Ybottom"
>
> After a little discussion with Miller, this one seems to
> make the most sense, so this is what the pd-gui-rewrite uses
> now.
>
> http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data?view=rev&revision=12883

That's great.  I think "setbounds" is a much better name than "relocate";
it has a straightforward connection to the arguments (unlike "relocate").

Is there any way to have the iemgui messages "pos" and "delta" for
canvases?  For example, if I have a canvas with a bunch of subpatches
that all have different sizes, but I want to move them all up to the
top left-hand corner or the screen, "pos 0 0" would be really handy.

-Jonathan