[PD] Pd-GUI-Rewrite 0.43 status: usable

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Jan 13 21:11:21 CET 2010

On Jan 13, 2010, at 4:45 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> Am 13.01.10 10:26 schrieb "cyrille henry" unter <ch at chnry.net>:
>
>> hello,
>>
>> yes, it is now compiling.
>> but i've got this message in pd log :
>>
>> WARNING: Font family 'Courier' not found, using default (courier)
>
> got the same also on Ubuntu 9.10 (I was still using tcl/tk8.4,
> probably this
> would go away with 8.5?)

Try it and report back please :).  Definitely use Tcl/Tk 8.5, it is a
big improvement.

>> and :
>>

>> /home/nusmuk/pd/Gem/src/Gem.pd_linux: /home/nusmuk/pd/Gem/src/
>> Gem.pd_linux:
>> undefined symbol: s_symbol
>> /home/nusmuk/pd/Gem/src/Gem: can't load library
>
> got the same with maxlib/netclient:
> /usr/local/lib/pd/extra/maxlib/netclient.pd_linux:
> undefined symbol: s_float
> can't load library
>
> I haven't tried recompiling maxlib against pd-gui-rewrite yet. Would
> this be
> supposed to solve the problem?

I haven't tested this, I don't know what an 0.42 binary wouldn't work
with 0.43.  I know Miller has added some code to 0.43, but I don't
remember the details.

> Sorry for repeating myself, but the new window-hierarchy menu is
> _really_
> great, since it eases navigation in patches so much! Thanks for your
> work,
> Hans!

Glad you like it!  Hopefully, it also means that 'pd' is doing less
work building that menu than the previous menu while 'pd-gui' is
handling the rest.

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent controls
you." - Richard M. Stallman