[PD] Pd-GUI-Rewrite 0.43 status: usable

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jan 13 21:08:25 CET 2010

On Jan 13, 2010, at 11:39 AM, cyrille henry wrote:

> IOhannes m zmoelnig a écrit :
>>
>> this is how 0.43 currently looks.
> ok

The look of the font is largely based on what fonts you have installed
and what fonts Tcl/Tk finds and assigns to "courier".  That is a flaky
process, and something that has changed in Tcl/Tk 8.5.  I highly
recommend installing the font "Inconsolata", its in Debian, Ubuntu,
Fedora, etc.  It makes Pd look really nice, and pd-gui-rewrite will
use it automatically if it can find it.

>> but i've got this message in pd log :
>> WARNING: Font family 'Courier' not found, using default (courier)

This means that Tk could not find a font called "Courier" on your
system and is using the Tk automagic font called 'courier'.  Tk has
three of these automagic fonts called Courier, Times, and Helvetica.
How they are handled has changed in 8.5.  They used to show up in
[font families], now they don't IIRC.  These three automagic fonts are
guaranteed to exist, but they are automagically mapped to some font on
the system, and those fonts they are mapped to are not guaranteed to
be the same font as the name used for the automagic font.  This is a
source of lots of font troubles in GNU/Linux, that's why there is some
font detection logic included in 0.43.  So it'll detect and use good
fonts like Inconsolata.

If you think you can make the font handling work better on GNU/Linux,
I encourage you to do it.  Federico and I have done what we can.

FYI: I switched back this branch to default to bold fonts (shudder...)
in preparation for the merge into vanilla.

>> i take your "look better" for slight sarcasm here, though i don't
>> think
>> it looks that bad (apart from the non-bold font)
> are the sometimes color changing line a feature????

I think its a feature, but it should be more subtle.  It needs to be
tweaked, its not done yet.

> why did "clear printout" disappear?

Edit->Clear Console and Ctrl-Shift-L

> do you think "DSP" is more clear than "compute audio"?

What if you are not working with audio but doing other kinds of
digital signal processing?  The message is called 'pd dsp 1'.  Having
the same thing named three different ways makes no sense (Pd window
checkbox "compute audio", Media menu "audio on/off", pd message "pd
dsp 1").  So now its called DSP all three places.

If you don't like the new Pd window, take the file "pdwindow.tcl",
rename it to "pdwindow-plugin.tcl" and put it in your Pd path.  Then
make your own custom Pd window.  Here's the steps:

- rename the namespace from 'pdwindow' to something else
- delete these public procs: ::pdwindow::create_window, pdtk_post,
pdtk_pd_dsp, pdtk_pd_meters, pdtk_pd_dio, using "rename pdtk_post {}"
- implement those above procs with those names

I'd like to see if this is possible.  Let me know if you have
troubles, and I'll see what I can fix in the 0.43 code to make it
easier to do this kind of thing.

.hc

>> there is definitely a bug in the linespacing ("\n" are inserted at
>> will)
> yep, also.

>> fgmadsr
>> IOhannes

"Making boring techno music is really easy with modern tools, but with
live coding, boring techno is much harder." - Chris McCormick