[PD] Glitchy problems with gem...

James Dunn james at 4thharmonic.com
Thu Jan 14 17:35:13 CET 2010

Hi list,

I had a lot of trouble getting [text3d] to work in fullscreen. It sort
of works now - the main issue is that the fonts look terrible. I have a
ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 M10 RV350 card in my laptop which no longer has
linux support by ATI so I'm using the xserver-xorg-video-ati driver in
Karmic. I think the font problem is to do with FSAA and I don't think I
can enable it with this driver. Also I think I read somewhere that FSAA
is only available in gem for nvidia cards on linux. Is this correct?

What's more, with desktop effects enabled gem has a lot of weirdness!
The window border disappears, the lower half of the window displays a
garbled image, and it corrupts the rest of my desktop! So I disabled
desktop effects and am currently now having trouble with multiple
gemheads - please see the attached patch. If all 3 gemheads are enabled,
the first two seem to switch places very quickly (many times a second) -
they should be static and scroll with the key presses. However I've just
tested this on my desktop box running karmic with an nvidia card and it
seems fine!

If anyone can help with any of these issues, please let me know - it's
very frustrating!

thanks,

James