[PD] sys_gui outlet WAS: create folder implementation

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Jan 14 18:10:24 CET 2010

On Jan 14, 2010, at 11:45 AM, colet.patrice at free.fr wrote:

> Selon IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>:
>
>> as said before: we are dealing with asyncrhonous messages over the
>> internet here.
>
> yes just seen this...
>

>> something like "pd_send myrecname [ glob -type d My-Dir ]" should
>> send
>> the output of the glob command back to Pd where it will magically
>> appear
>> on the "myrecname" receiver.
>>

> pretty magics!
>

> [pdsend "tcl-rcv [file isdirectory My-Dir<--[sys_gui]
>
> [r tcl-rcv]--[sel 1]--[write My-Dir/My-File.txt cr<--[textfile]
>
> this trick could reside in an abs, I've attached something like that.
>
> so now all this stuff is possible inside PureData:
>
> http://tmml.sourceforge.net/doc/tcl/
>
> unless the commands that need {}

I like the idea of an outlet on sys_gui a lot.  It should probably
just output a bang once the command you entered into sys_gui is
finished.  Or perhaps it needs to output a copy of the message that
was just sent.  Otherwise, if you send a lot of messages, it might be
hard to tell which bang goes with which message.

Then for getting messages from the pdwindow and/or console, I think
those should probably be separate objects, like [console].

Patco, if you want to try making it work, the code is in externals/hcs/
sys_gui.c.  That code is pretty simple. I think you could do it by
appending something like "; pdsend "#sys_gui-receiver bang" to every
command sent, then bind to the receiver name "#sys_gui-receiver" to
get that bang.

I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
how to use my telephone."  --Bjarne Stroustrup (creator of C++)