[PD] Glitchy problems with gem...

James Dunn james at 4thharmonic.com
Fri Jan 15 16:13:53 CET 2010

2010/1/14 Marco Donnarumma <devel at thesaddj.com>:
> Hi James,
> I tried your patch on my machine (ubuntu 9.04 ashamed ATI radeon
> non-supported) and it's working fine.
>
> ATI is a crap. If you want to make serious 3d/video stuff in GEM on Linux or
> you change video card, or you go back 8.04.
> Meanwhile you may want to check this tips for a decent configuration of ATI
> cards:
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Additional_options_for_the_radeon_driver
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver
>
> this helped me to not go crazy and throw my video card... but I still can't
> work properly.
> hope this helps..
>

> Marco

Ok, here's an update on my gem troubles...
I've repartitioned my hard drive and installed Ubuntu 8.04 and Pd
version 0.42.5-extended-20100114. I've also installed the ATI driver
which is now available in Hardware Drivers. So far so good.
I can open the gem patch I sent yesterday, but when I click [create,
1( I get the following errors in the console:

error: GEM-Xwin: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)

error: GEM-Xwin: GLXBadContext

error: GEM: problems making glX-context current: refusing to continue
error: GEM: try setting the environment variable GEM_SINGLE_CONTEXT=1
error: GEM-Xwin: GLXBadContext

error: GEM: Unable to create window
error: [gemwin]: no window made
... you might be able to track this down from the Find menu.
error: GEM: Create window first!

I tried running pd from gdb as IOhannes suggested and it outputs the following:

Starting program: /usr/bin/pd
tk scaling is 1.237138508371385
[New Thread 0xb7d0f6b0 (LWP 12399)]
<init> : Avifile RELEASE-0.7.47-080115-14:47-4.2.3
<init> : Available CPU flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep mtrr
pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 tm pbe up bts est
tm2
<init> : 1600.00 MHz Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1600MHz detected
[New Thread 0xb66b7b90 (LWP 12405)]
[New Thread 0xb5bc0b90 (LWP 12406)]
[New Thread 0xb53bfb90 (LWP 12407)]
[New Thread 0xb4bbeb90 (LWP 12408)]

[Switching to Thread 0xb7d0f6b0 (LWP 12399)]
0xb40bfcc0 in ?? ()
(gdb) socket receive error: Connection reset by peer (104)
quit
The program is running.  Exit anyway? (y or n) y

So it seems that my gem issues are not driver related? Can anyone shed
some light on what is going on?

thanks

James