[PD] Hardware requirements (think big!)

IOhannes zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Jan 16 11:42:32 CET 2010

Ignacio Lois wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm working on a sound installation that is being made in pd alone. It's
> going to be running in 8 different rooms (8 output channels) for twelve
> hours a day, for at least a year.
> The budget allows for a reasonably powerful computer devoted just to this
> (most likely a Mac).
> I never did anything this big so I'm concerned about the minimum
> processor/memory requirements. Bear in mind that it's going to be mostly
> oscillators, audio files and MIDI. No input signal processing, no screens.
>
> Any thoughts/caveats?

no idea, but i have been running installations with 16 in/out channels
on a Pentium2-400MHz machine running Debian/potato in 1999 (the main
task of the machine was spatialization though)

for 8 output channels only i would use an eeePC if it had any proper
expansion slots.

seriously: the i/o should not create any noticeable problems on a recent
hardware. the requirements needed for your patch are mainly depending on
your patch (it's always simple to eat all ressources)

fgmasdr
IOhannes