[PD] sys_gui outlet WAS: create folder implementation

colet.patrice at free.fr colet.patrice at free.fr
Sat Jan 16 19:27:15 CET 2010

Selon Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>:

> I like the idea of an outlet on sys_gui a lot.  It should probably
> just output a bang once the command you entered into sys_gui is
> finished.  Or perhaps it needs to output a copy of the message that
> was just sent.  Otherwise, if you send a lot of messages, it might be
> hard to tell which bang goes with which message.

 I've attached a simple modification that output bangs, but outputting the
message instead is a good idea indeed, also, iterations over this object doesn't
seem to be a good use... In a realtime env, one would like to avoid long latency
between trigs, so using a single command in [sys_gui] would always be the most
appropriated method, isn't it?

> Then for getting messages from the pdwindow and/or console, I think
> those should probably be separate objects, like [console].

in fact I'd like to add an arg to sys_gui for handling the receiver name, then
the separated object would be [r], that would output a command result, or
apparently it's better to write another object that handles tcl console
output,...,
noone did it before?

> Patco, if you want to try making it work, the code is in externals/hcs/
> sys_gui.c.  That code is pretty simple. I think you could do it by
> appending something like "; pdsend "#sys_gui-receiver bang" to every
> command sent, then bind to the receiver name "#sys_gui-receiver" to
> get that bang.

why not simply output a bang like attached?