[PD] Pd-GUI-Rewrite 0.43 status: usable

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 19 07:33:00 CET 2010

--- On Tue, 1/19/10, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:

> From: Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Pd-GUI-Rewrite 0.43 status: usable
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "PD list" <pd-list at iem.at>
> Date: Tuesday, January 19, 2010, 5:26 AM
>

> On Jan 18, 2010, at 7:09 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>
> > [Kind of picky...]
> >
> > In the console, there's a checkbox with the clickable
> text "DSP."  I know
> > acronyms are normally capitalized, but in this case if
> the text read
> > "dsp", the tk label/checkbox would accurately reflect
> the message one
> > sends to pd to turn audio on and off (with the
> checkbox fulfilling the 0/1 argument).
> >
> > I think someone complained recently that DSP would be
> less clear to a
> > beginner than "compute audio."  I think that's
> true, so if the beginner
> > has to read a help file to figure out what it means,
> they might as well
> > learn the message "dsp 0" and "dsp 1" at the same time
> (and be reminded of
> > the _exact_ selector everytime they look at the
> console).
>
> "compute audio" is easier to understand, but it then
> doesn't match the 'pd dsp' message or the Media menu
> items.  I think overall, its easier if people learn
> that DSP means computing audio as well as other things, and
> the term DSP is used consistently throughout. I don't have a
> strong feeling on upper vs lower case on DSP tho.

Well it's definitely a minor distinction-- I just think that the lower
case reflects what's going on under the hood more closely, which is a
good thing.

Something else I've been wondering about...is there any reason the
top of the console couldn't be a pd canvas or a gop?  As it is, it's just
two [tgl]s, two [vu]s, and maybe a [bng].  Other than the DIO button it's just a [dac~], [adc~], and [s pd], right?

-Jonathan