[PD] abs~ on 64-bit and 0.42.3

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jan 19 18:28:09 CET 2010

Miller Puckette wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I juect checked and abs~ and exp~ are indeed broken in 0.42-3 (and 0.42-4) -
> that got fixed in my source a few months ago but I haven't been releasing
> anything since there's a huge GUI re-write underway.
>
> Here's the damage...
>
> [msp at slash src]$ diff d_math.c ~/pd/src/d_math.c
> 630c630
> <         *out = exp(*in1);
> ---
>>         *out++ = exp(*in1++);
> 723c723
> <         *out = (f >= 0 ? f : -f);
> ---
>>         *out++ = (f >= 0 ? f : -f);
>
> I think I have to try the latest GUI rewrite code (Hans-Christophe and Hannes
> are working on it and I'm basically just waiting for it to stabilize) -- and
> if it's not at least stable enough for me to put out as a "test" version, I
> should probably go back and apply all the applicable bug fixes I can find to
> 0.42 (a dangerous prospect since that process often seems to _introduce_
> bugs as well as fix them!)

in this very case, i can confirm that the bugs are already fixed in Pd
0.42-5 (which - according to the SVN logs - was released in may 2009)

in this case i would consider upgrading Pd to the newest stable release.

apart from that i found that the SSE-code in zexy used for the zexy
implementation of [abs~] is buggy as well.
for whatever reasons, (recent versions(?) of) gcc always imply SSE,
which makes the broken code somewhat mandatory.

since Pd>=0.42 will allow libraries to override its built-ins, you might
eventually come across the [abs~] of zexy as well.
in this case, please update zexy to the latest SVN as well.

mfgasdr
IOhannes