[PD] RJDJ, comport, Pd on iPhone, serial communication

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Jan 21 06:06:27 CET 2010

Oops, left out a key 'not'
> so you can not dynamically load things, like externals.

Fred, rjdj won't work on the first gen iPod Touch, they didn't want to
support it because it doesn't have a built-in mic.  We are aiming to
support it with the pd-mobile0.43 branch.

.hc

On Jan 20, 2010, at 11:55 PM, David NG McCallum wrote:

> [...]
>
> Thanks for the tips, HC. Will take a look at those.
>
> Thanks!
> David
>
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:47 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at
> > wrote:
>
> rjdj is Pd, but it is like any office iPhone app, so you can
> dynamically load things, like externals.  So rjdj only has its built-
> in set of objects, which does not include [comport].  You'll
> definitely have to jailbreak the iPhone to access the serial port,
> AFAIK.
>
> You can build Pd for iPhone using the pd-mobile-0.43 branch, but the
> audio I/O code needs to be integrated, so its not included in the
> branch.  Its just a matter of finding the time.
>
> http://puredata.info/docs/developer/BuildingPdForiPhone
>
> You can use PDa on old iPods and use the serial port, thanks to Tymm
> Twillman.  He even made an Arduino that has a iphone/ipod connector
> on it, instead of USB, so it literally plugs directly into the iPod/
> iPhone.  (I cc'ed him, I don't know if he's on the Pd list).
>

> .hc
>

> On Jan 20, 2010, at 3:12 PM, Fred Voisin wrote:
>
> Hi David,
> I really like to help by trying on my ipodtouch :itunes does not
> succeed in, is there another way to install rjdj on ipodtouch 1st
> generation with last system update ?
>
> fred
>
> David NG McCallum wrote:
> Hi Chuck,
> Thanks for chipping in.
> I need Pd on the iPhone to do the audio component and communication
> with the Arduino, so I can't ditch rjdj (or whatever way I might get
> Pd working on the iPhone).
> I've also poked around and can't find any reference to touchOSC
> sending anything out of the iPhone's serial pins. My guess is that
> Patrick is implying that I have Pd running on a separate computer
> that has the arduino attached to it, which won't work; I need
> everything done on the iPhone.
> The solution I'm trying to find is: Pd patch running on the iPhone
> in communication with an Arduino directly connected to the iPhone.
> Still hoping there's a solution to this...
> Thanks!
> D!
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Chuck Wiggins
> <cwiggins999 at gmail.com <mailto:cwiggins999 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>   I'm guessing he's recommending using touchOSC rather than RjDj - it
>   seems like a more direct route to achieve what you are after.
>   On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:45 PM, David NG McCallum
>   <d at mentalfloss.ca <mailto:d at mentalfloss.ca>> wrote:
>       Hi Patrick,
>       Can you clarify that?
>       touchOSC acts as a bridge between rjdj and the serial port?
>       RJDJ sends OSC internally to touchOSC which sends stuff out of
>       the iPhone serial port? And reverse as well?
>       Thanks again,
>       D!
>       On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Pagano, Patrick

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams