[PD] RJDJ, comport, Pd on iPhone, serial communication

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Jan 21 17:17:50 CET 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 3:45 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> David NG McCallum hat gesagt: // David NG McCallum wrote:
>> I'm looking at doing a project prototype where the audio system is
>> on the
>> iPhone, and it interfaces with an Arduino through serial.
>>
>> I'm assuming since RJDJ is a working version of Pd, I could just
>> use it as
>> the engine for this stage of the prototype.
>
> As others wrote, RjDj is just a plain vanilla Pd including only the
> BSD-licensed
> parts. Legally it's very hairy to include GPL-stuff in the AppStore.
> You can use
> netsend/netreceive to communicate with external hardware, but
> comport is not supported

Hey Frank

I think it confuses things to call rjdj the same as Pd-vanilla.  It is
not.  It is another distro of Pd, like Pd-extended, but it is much
smaller and closer to Pd-vanilla.  rjdj does not have expr, IIRC,
which is definitely part of vanilla.  rjdj cannot load externals,
which is part of vanilla.  rjdj includes the nice rj feature
extraction externals, and specific modifications for getting data from
the touchscreen and accelerometer.  Those are definitely not in vanilla.

"Making boring techno music is really easy with modern tools, but with
live coding, boring techno is much harder." - Chris McCormick