[PD] pd-gui-rewrite and tcl/tk version

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jan 25 16:04:55 CET 2010

Roman Haefeli wrote:
> Hi all
>
> When configuring pd-gui-rewrite, I don't see an option to set a certain
> version of tcl/tk. The result seems to work fine with both, 8.4 and 8.5.
> It seems, that it 'prefers' 8.4 over 8.5, if both are installed.
>
> Is there a way to force a certain version? And for the auto-detect
> mechanism, wouldn't it make more sense to try the higher version before
> the lower version? I can only use 8.5, if I remove 8.4, which I'd like
> to keep for Pd-vanilla 0.42-5.

hmm, afaict, there is no action at all to use a specific version of
tcl/tk. instead, the system defaults are used.
so if the default tcl/tk interpreter on your system is wish8.5, that one
will be used.

on my debian (testing/unstable) system, the default tcl/tk interpreter
is controlled via alternatives:
<snip>
$ update-alternatives --display wish
wish - auto mode
 link currently points to /usr/bin/wish-default
/usr/bin/wish-default - priority 10000
 slave wish.1: /usr/share/man/man1/wish-default.1.gz
/usr/bin/wish8.3 - priority 831
 slave wish.1: /usr/share/man/man1/wish8.3.1.gz
/usr/bin/wish8.4 - priority 841
 slave wish.1: /usr/share/man/man1/wish8.4.1.gz
/usr/bin/wish8.5 - priority 840
 slave wish.1: /usr/share/man/man1/wish8.5.1.gz
Current `best' version is /usr/bin/wish-default.
</snip>

the "wish-default" comes from a package "tk" which is really 8.4.16, so
my default tcl/tk is 8.4

you can change that via
$ update-alternative --config wish

i wouldn't do anything more than thatn, as this will probably create
more confusion than it solves.

fgmasdr
IOhannes