[PD] Help installing pd-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Jan 27 00:18:56 CET 2010

On Jan 25, 2010, at 3:38 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> The other option is run the install on the command line and use Force
>> Depends, I think its something like this:
>>
>> dpkg -i --force-depends pd-extended.deb
>>

> on the packager side: before the huge pd-extended package is split
> into
> several nice packages which would allow us to track dependencies more
> accurately, i would suggest to not "depend" on binary packages but
> rather "recommend" them (if it is for external dependencies).
>
> e.g. if somebody is using Pd-extended for all the nifty features in
> there but they are totally uninterested in doing visuals using Gem,
> they
> will probably never notice that they cannot run it because they have
> not
> installed libgmerlin_avdec)
> i think that nowadays, state-of-the-art package managers will try to
> automatically install all "recommends" packages (a behaviour which i
> personally don't really like...), so most users won't notice the
> change
> (apart from those who cannot satisfy the dependencies and who are
> currently told to use wild things like "--force-depends")

Makes sense, but I don't really have time to test it and figure out
possible issues with this approach and possible workarounds.  So from
my point of view, the problems we know are more attractive than the
big unknown.

I'd rather put that effort into making good Debian packages.  Next
weekend is the Debian Bug Squashing Party here in NYC, so that should
help.  I have been working on the template Makefile and matching
template debian/rules to go with it.

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during
that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big
Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      - General Smedley Butler